Looking for some local family fun to keep the kids entertained these school holidays?
Takapuna has you covered. There are so many things to do in Takapuna that are perfect for school holiday adventures – check out our handy list of ideas and places to go!
Ride the PumpTrack in Takapuna
The Pump Track will be in the new Waiwharariki Anzac Square in Takapuna from NOW for a little while, so bring the kids down with their scooters and bikes and let them loose around the track!
It’s free for all ages, and paired with a picnic lunch at the beach, a coffee and snack or lunch at one of our local eateries, sure makes for an excellent day out in the sun in Takapuna.
Get your shop on at Shore City and WIN
Simply spend $30 or more any retailer at Shore City from 23rd September to 8th October and be in the draw to win a $1,000 Farmers’ shopping spree for the whole family.
Competition entries close at 11.55pm on 8th October 2023. See full terms and conditions here.
FREE Activities in the new Waiwharariki Anzac Square:
HUNGERBALL™ (Hia Pōro) is an award-winning concept developed in New Zealand that captures the energy, imagination and inclusive values inherent in street games. Within the six sides of the inflatable HUNGERBALL™ arena, all ages and abilities have the opportunity to participate in variations of the game – such as football, hockey, and other ball games – while embracing a healthy competitive spirit that encourages camaraderie, teamwork and communication.
Play HUNGERBALL in the square:
- Saturday, 30 September: 10am – 1pm
- Wednesday, 4 October: 10am – 1pm
- Friday, 6 October: 10am – 1pm
- Saturday, 7 October: 2pm – 5pm
- Saturday, 14 October: 10am – 1pm
Explore your creativity with “JUNK PLAY”: Conscious Kids and Devonport-Takapuna Local Board are excited to bring you the JUNK PLAY ‘Pop up Adventure Playground’ – made entirely of rescued materials. This is a FREE EVENT, funded by the Devonport-Takapuna Local Board to celebrate the opening of Waiwharariki ANZAC Square.
Join in for a unique and creative play experience! Utilizing a wide range of ‘large loose parts’ otherwise destined for landfill, we will design and construct our own play spaces, limited only by our imaginations! Best suited to children aged 3 – 12, the number of participants is limited, first come first served. Adult supervision required/no drop-offs.
- Friday 29 September: 10am – 2pm
- Saturday 30 September: 10am – 2pm
- Friday 3 November: 10am – 2pm
- Tuesday 7 November: 3pm – 7pm
- Thursday 9 November: 3pm – 7pm
Check out The Twits at The PumpHouse!
Roald Dahl continues to delight readers of all ages, and we’re just as delighted that the Dahl estate has agreed to Tim Bray’s adaptation of this iconic story, with new songs by Christine White.
Giggle and gasp at the antics of Mr. and Mrs. Twit, a hideous and hilarious couple who love to play nasty pranks on each other and their pet monkeys, the Muggle-Wumps. Glass eyeball in your drink anyone? How about worm spaghetti made with real worms? And bird pie made with real … you get it. Ugghh! Luckily, when Mr. Twit tries to create the world’s first Great Upside Down Monkey Circus, the Twits get a dose of their own nasty medicine. A brilliantly entertaining show for Roald Dahl fans of all ages.
WHEN: 23 Sept – 7 Oct
For more information and to book your tickets, visit the Tim Bray Theatre Company website.
Escape Reality with some Escape Room and VR Challenges
Head to Escape HQ these holidays for a mind-bending, brain teasing Escape Room challenge!
Parents, challenge your kids, or let them challenge their friends to see who can escape the quickest with their range of different scenarios and skill levels! Or check out their Attention: Magic – The Gathering and Pokemon Sunday session events!
Or check out Thrillzone‘s new premises, and book in for a Virtual Reality experience, the Race Car simulator, or outdoor augmented-reality Escape Adventure!
Fight a fearless battle with your friends, experience the adrenaline and drama of real track racing, or hunt your way around Takapuna finding clues and save the world from Assassins! Check out the full range of activities and entertainment at Thrillzone here.
Enjoy some free family fun at Takapuna Library
There’s all sorts of treasure to be found at Takapuna Libraries these holidays! Come take part in our free school holiday events. With theatre, music, crafts, puzzles and more, there’s something to value for everyone.
- Treasure Hunters – All Holidays Long: Find the hidden treasure hoard, then tell us what your treasure is so we can add it to our display. Win prizes by logging challenges or find a new book to treasure!
- Children’s Writers Festival – Sat 23rd Sep, 9-11.30am: At 9 a.m., sing along with Suzi Cato and Kath Bee as they promote their new book, “I Can Do It!”. Then at 10 a.m., listen to authors John Evan Harris (The Physician’s Gun), Karen McMIllan (The Elastic Island Adventures) and Yvette Carol (The Chronicles of Aden Weaver) talk about their books!
- Movie Magic – Sun 24th Sep, 2-4pm: Come eat popcorn and watch an all-ages treasure hunting movie, based on a famous book!
- Poi Making – Mon 25th Sep, 10-11am: Our culture is our treasure! Come make poi and learn some simple poi dances.
- Escape Room – Wed 27th Sep, 10am-12pm: You have entered an ancient ruin in search of buried treasure, only to find yourself trapped! Can you discover the treasure and escape before it’s too late? Limited spaces available: please sign up on the day. Suitable for older children.
- Treasure Island: The Pantomime – Thurs 28th Sep, 10-10.30am: Join Jim Jawkins on a voyage to Treasure Island! Can you help him find buried treasure and escape from pirates? An interactive performance for all ages.
- Map Making – Fri 29th Sep, 3.30-4.30pm: Make a treasure map in this special holiday session of our popular Friday Crafts!
- Japanese Storytime – Sat 30th Sep, 10-11am: Come listen to our wonderful librarian Tomo read Japanese picture books, then take part in a craft activity! Suitable for 3+ years old.
- Movie Magic – Sun 1st Oct, 2-4pm: Come eat popcorn and watch an all-ages treasure hunting movie, based on a famous book!
- Drowning Prevention Workshop – Mon 2nd Oct, 10-11am & 3.30-4.30pm: Drowning Prevention Auckland are offering a series of interactive workshops to keep you safe in the water this summer! Each covers the same core content, and has a special focus as well. Today’s topics: identifying hazards and cold water immersion.
- Dungeons & Dragons – Tues 3rd Oct, 2.30-4.30pm: Have you ever wanted to be a mighty warrior or a crafty ward in search of adventure? Now’s your chance. No experience required. Limited spaces available: please sign up on the day. Suitable for older children.
- Escape Room – Wed 4th Oct, 10am-12pm: You have entered an ancient ruin in search of buried treasure, only to find yourself trapped! Can you discover the treasure and escape before it’s too late? Limited spaces available: please sign up on the day. Suitable for older children.
- Drowning Prevention Workshop – Thurs 5th Oct, 10-11am: Drowning Prevention Auckland are offering a series of interactive workshops to keep you safe in the water this summer! Each covers the same core content, and has a special focus as well. Today’s topic: lifejackets.
- Drowning Prevention Workshop – Fri 6th Oct, 10-11am: Drowning Prevention Auckland are offering a series of interactive workshops to keep you safe in the water this summer! Each covers the same core content, and has a special focus as well. Today’s topic: bystander rescues.
- Movie Magic – Sun 8th Oct, 2pm-4pm: Come eat popcorn and watch an all-ages treasure hunting movie, based on a famous book!
Check out Puriri Lane @ Addenbrooke on Hurstmere Road!
With the warmer weather it is a great opportunity to get your children out in the garden these school holidays.
Puriri Lane have some great additions for little hands including gardening gloves and trowels as well as fun activities to keep them occupied.
Check them out in store at 9 Hurstmere Road, Takapuna.
Discover your creative side at the Lake House Arts centre
Creative Matters Holiday Art Workshops: More than ever our children need opportunities to get creative, connect with others and have fun in a new environment. Creative Matters holiday workshops provide a safe and happy place for your children.
Way more than your average holiday programme, our Auckland based art classes are educational with a focus on a rich development of the creative process, encouraging individual creativity and artistic interpretation as well as time to explore and experiment with ideas and visual arts techniques.
We believe in the benefits of vertical age grouping and cater for the individual needs and developmental stages of each child.
$88 per day including all materials – from 9am – 3pm
Suitable for children aged 5 – 13yrs.
Creative Cupcakes with Camille: School Holiday Workshops: Join professional cake maker Camille as she teaches kids how to create art they can EAT! Cupcake decorating fun these upcoming school holidays.
$45 per child – Includes: All materials, 6 Free cupcakes per child for decorating Suitable for ages 6+
Venue: Lake House Arts – 37 Fred Thomas Drive, Takapuna
All info and bookings please get in contact with Camille: email@example.com or on 0278390087
- 28th Sept 10.30am-12.30pm (Zoo Animals)
- 29 Sept 10.30am-12.30pm (Unicorns & Fairies)
- 5 Oct 10.30am-12.30pm (Under the Sea)
- 6 Oct 10.30am – 12.30pm (Space)
Treat the family to some delicious lunch or dinner out!
Itching to get the family out of the house? Have someone else do the dishes, treat yourself (and them!) and take them out to one of Takapuna’s buzzing family-friendly, kid-friendly and tasty-licious dining establishments. We’ve got cafes, restaurants, takeaways and desserts for everyone in your whānau.
Enjoy the sunshine and spend an afternoon at the incredible Takapuna Beach Playground with a refreshing sweet treat!
Just visiting town? Long time admirer, first time player? Looking after someone else’s kids and need something awesome to burn off some energy? If you haven’t been here yet, you should remedy that ASAP.
First thing you’ll notice is the MASSIVE tower. Kids (and adults, let’s face it) have an in-built need to be at the top of towers. Release them and they’ll be up the ladders in a flash, popping out the three slides (five if you count the wee ones on the bottom level). The best way to reach the top is to climb up the ropes on the neighbouring A-frame and cross through the tunnel made of netting – it’s hard to beat for beach views!
Check out the Sunday Markets in the new town square!
Get the kids and family up and out for a little market browsing on Sunday – the fantastic Takapuna Sunday Market is on every Sunday from 8am – 1pm in the Waiwharariki Anzac Square (behind the bus stop on Lake Rd).
Enjoy a range of performances while you browse through the different goods for sale whilst enjoying a beverage from your favourite cafe, or grab a little breakfast at one of the nearby spots – or come down a little later and grab a snack for lunch, then head to the beach for an afternoon of sun, sand and playground fun!